Friendly Worm Guy | Our Business | Our Products| Promo Items | Kid's Stuff
About Us | Contact Us | Worm Blog | Articles | Sitemap

Worm Beds and Harvesting Worm Castings

In this post you will see some of my worm beds, and how I harvest my worm castings.

Here is one of my Worm Beds. It is 8′ long 3′ wide, This bed is used for Worm Castings production for the most part. These beds are harvested and rebedded on a monthly bases. The bedding is pre-composted, These beds are housed with Red Wigglers and European Nightcrawlers.
I take the used up Vermicompost and screen it through a 1/4″ screen, which seperates all the larger worms from the small worms and worm cocoons(worm eggs)and the worm castings.At this point the larger worms go back into this same bed to produce Worm Castings and alot of egg cocoons to be harvested again in another month.

In this pic you can see the Vermicompost on the floor after being screened through the 1/4″ screen.
The pile on the floor, as I said before is all the little worms, egg cocoons, and the Worm Castings that were in the 18 cubic ft worm bed.
At this point this pile of vermicompost is left to sit for a week or two before it is moved out to the Old Fanning Mill, to produce the final product (Worm Castings)
Here is the link to my Harvesting video.Over at my Worm Farmer friends website www.redwormcomposting.com.Harvesting Worm Castings

Here is a picture of my Worm Castings after they go through the old Fanning Mill, Bagged up and ready to be sold to you people to make all your plants grow like never before. Check out my PROMO ITEMS at the top of the page.

Written by Jeff on July 21st, 2008 with 11 comments.
Read more articles on About Earthworms and Composting with composting worms and Friendly Worm Guy Store and News and Videos and Worm Stories.

Related articles

11 comments

Read the comments left by other users below, or:

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com REBECCA
#1. February 10th, 2009, at 9:25 PM.

do you have a video on worm harvesting?

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Jeff
#2. February 11th, 2009, at 8:14 AM.

No I am sorry.. at the moment I don’t have a video to harvest just the worms.. The video with the fanning mill does show some worms being seperated from the worm castings, but there are better ways at harvesting worms. The fanning mill for the most part is for harvesting Almost pure worm castings..

Jeff

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Neil
#3. September 3rd, 2011, at 3:18 PM.

Hi,

What does 200 litres mean? WC are solid not liquid. Can you please tell me what volume or weight your 18 cubic foot worm bed produces per month?
Thanks,

Neil

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Jeff
#4. September 4th, 2011, at 12:07 AM.

Hi Neil

200 litres means about 200 pounds of worm castings per month is harvested from my 18 cubic foot worm beds.

Thanks Jeff

Trackback Mention from Transportservi.shikshik.org
#5. September 20th, 2011, at 3:34 PM.

Earthworms harvesting | Transportservi: Worm Beds and Harvesting Worm CastingsFeb 10, 2009 … In this post you will see some of my worm ...

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com scott
#6. March 23rd, 2012, at 2:06 PM.

Hello Jeff,
My name is Scott, my wife and I are starting our farming life very soon. Have a small amount of land (8 ac) in coastal South Carolina with some horses around. I’m interested in a big bed as you have, lot of folks seem to use smaller bins that are stacked. Is this because of limited space, or ease of use?

I could use some input regarding your setup, ie., is it indoors? Lineing material, wood I presume. Any info would be really cool, and appreciated.

Happy harvesting,
Scott

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com bob surfshop
#7. June 2nd, 2012, at 10:13 PM.

how to you get 18 cubic ft from a 8×3 worm bed? that would be a minimum of 24cubic ft if the sides were 1ft .

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com bob surfshop
#8. June 2nd, 2012, at 11:05 PM.

I’m trying to make a formula I can use in excel to calculate area, worm quantity, composting material, casing production, using a time base formula. for example: a cubic foot area will accommodate a maximum amount of worms that will produce a maximum amount of worm casings(an area will also accommodate a maximum amount of composted) in a given time. the function is using maximums, therefore the time to populate a given area with mature worms will not be used, variables like temperatures, moisture, and different kinds of composting materials with not used…etc. using your 8×3 ft worm bed and the 18cubic ft 200 liter (pound) 1 month formula contradicts itself (8×3 bed is more than 18 cubic ft).

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Peri
#9. June 9th, 2012, at 1:25 AM.

If his bed is 8×3 feet, the depth would have to be .75 of a foot to equal 18 cubic feet. This would mean its 9 inches in depth.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com brooke
#10. July 24th, 2012, at 5:11 PM.

just have a wuick question my husband has started a worm bed and he is starting to get these little flying bugs, what kind of spray can he use to kill the bugs but safe for the worms?

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com John
#11. May 8th, 2013, at 10:10 AM.

Hello,
Ive been playin w my worms prolly 3 months now. What exactly do u use for bedding? I used coir, shredded paper and cardboard and feed them blended plant scraps and i started w 1000 worms and they still havent gone thru it all(prolly an 18 gal box 3/4 the way full). They are close tho. How many worms are in your box? Any suggestions to speed up the process?

Leave your comment...

If you want to leave your comment on this article, simply fill out the next form:

You can use these XHTML tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong> .

Warning: fsockopen(): php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known in /home4/compostg/public_html/friendlywormguy/wp-content/plugins/wp-shortstat/wp-shortstat.php on line 128

Warning: fsockopen(): unable to connect to udp://whois.happyarts.net:8000 (php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known) in /home4/compostg/public_html/friendlywormguy/wp-content/plugins/wp-shortstat/wp-shortstat.php on line 128

Warning: stream_set_timeout() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home4/compostg/public_html/friendlywormguy/wp-content/plugins/wp-shortstat/wp-shortstat.php on line 129